Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Research and Linking Pt.2-School Starting Later

http://americansocietalreview.blogspot.com/2008/01/school-and-starting-class-later.html

This blog is about high school, and school in general, starting later. I definitely agree for various reasons.

1. I'm a teenager. Why wouldn't I want to go to school later? Even though I am a morning person, I still wouldn't mind getting a little more sleep.

2. "Research shows that teenagers’ body clocks are set to a schedule that is different from that of younger children or adults. This prevents adolescents from dropping off until around 11 p.m., when they produce the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin, and waking up much before 8 a.m. when their bodies stop producing melatonin." Most teens I know don't get to sleep until midnight or later, and not because they want to be a pain in the ass, but because they can't. Their bodies won't let them. Why should we be forced to go to sleep and get up before our bodies will let us? Just making classes start and end an hour later would make grades increase and tardiness and bad behavior decrease.

3. If all schools were to start later, then parents would also benefit. Especially parents with younger children because they would have more of a similar schedule. They'd be able to get their kids when they get off work instead of having to pay other people to watch their kids while they work more. It would save people a lot of money, actually. I know my mom spends hundreds of dollars a month so my brothers can go to the day care center down the street for maybe thirty minutes. She could be using that money on much better things, like gas or food (or a car for me.)

So, think about it, is there anything bad that could come of this change? I don't think so.

1 comment:

Jennifer Woods said...

Although I am a morning person, I would be happy to start and finish school because I have heard of the research that has been done aout teen's body clocks. I'm all about helping kids get the most out of school.